Stuffed Chayote Squash
This is a good accompaniment to any of our burritos, Chimichangas, or center of the plate products but I chose the Family Pack Chicken Rice & Bean Burritos because of the in-depth flavor profiles that compliment the squash and vegetables. It is sort of a traditional calabacitas recipe stuffed into squash.
- Preparation Time:
- Total Time:
- 8 each El Monterey Chicken Rice & Bean Burritos
- 4 large
- Chayote squash, cut in half-length wise, cored out, and forked.
- 2 Tbl.
- Melted butter or olive oil or both
- 1 cup
- Red onion chopped
- 2 cloves
- Garlic minced
- 1 cup Red & green bell peppers mixed, diced
- 1 cup Whole corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup Whole black beans, drained and lightly washed
- 1 cup Tomatoes chopped or diced
- 1 cup Spanish rice cooked
- 1/4 cup Chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbl. Cumin ground
- To Taste SPG (see Culinary Note)
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar & jack cheese mix
DirectionsHere's the recipe for Stuffed Chayote Squash.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Heat up El Monterey Chicken Rice & Bean Burritos according to package directions and keep warm.
- Brush squash with olive oil and season liberally on both sides with salt and pepper. Place squash cut side down on a cookie sheet and roast in oven until tender but not mushy, about 45 minutes. Take out of oven and turn squash over with the cut side up and set aside.
- Sauté onions and garlic in butter or oil until translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except mixed cheese and continue to cook until all ingredients are heated through thoroughly. Remove from heat and drain well.
- Evenly distribute and spoon the vegetable mix on top of the squash and finish topping with cheese.
- Bake stuffed squash in the pre-heated oven at 375ºF for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to turn golden brown.
- Use stuffed squash as an accompaniment to the El Monterey Chicken Rice & Bean Burritos and serve with your favorite red or green chile sauce or salsa.
- SPG is my simple and very basic "Season All" seasoning mix: 50% salt, 25% pepper, and 25% garlic.
- Substitute chayote with large patty pan squash.