Southwestern Cream of Tomato Soup
This creamy soup recipe gives you a whole new way to serve up our El Monterey traditional tamales. Three simple ingredients combine for a flavorful soup base, perfect for a wintry evening. The addition of frozen vegetables simplifies preparation and makes this recipe a complete and satisfying meal.
- 4 each El Monterey® Beef Tamales
- 1 cup Your Favorite canned Red Chile Sauce
- 3 cup or (1) 26 oz. can Tomato Soup
- (1) 12 oz. can Evaporated milk or 1 cup of cream
- 24 oz. bag Frozen stewing vegetables (potato, onion, carrot, celery)
- 4 oz. Frozen spinach to taste Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese freshly crumbled (optional)
DirectionsHere's a recipe for Southwestern Cream of Tomato Soup.
- Heat up El Monterey® Beef Tamales according to package instructions and keep warm.
- Mix and heat up the red chile sauce and tomato soup, and milk or cream in a saucepot, simmer for 5 minutes or until all the flavors have blended, adjust flavor with salt & pepper; keep warm on a back burner.
- Add frozen vegetables and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a perforated serving spoon (a spoon with holes) evenly portion the vegetables in large wide soup bowls mounding the vegetables in the middle of the bowl as high as possible.
- Ladle about 3/4 - 1 cup hot soup/sauce into bowls around the bottom of the bowl next to the vegetables, try not to cover the vegetables too much.
- Unwrap and lay El Monterey Beef Tamales flat over the top of the vegetables, garnished with crumbled Cotija cheese and sliced green onions, if desired.