Here’s the recipe for Stuffed Chayote Squash.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Heat up El Monterey Chicken Rice & Bean Burritos according to package directions and keep warm.
- Brush squash with olive oil and season liberally on both sides with salt and pepper. Place squash cut side down on a cookie sheet and roast in oven until tender but not mushy, about 45 minutes. Take out of oven and turn squash over with the cut side up and set aside.
- Sauté onions and garlic in butter or oil until translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except mixed cheese and continue to cook until all ingredients are heated through thoroughly. Remove from heat and drain well.
- Evenly distribute and spoon the vegetable mix on top of the squash and finish topping with cheese.
- Bake stuffed squash in the pre-heated oven at 375ºF for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to turn golden brown.
- Use stuffed squash as an accompaniment to the El Monterey Chicken Rice & Bean Burritos and serve with your favorite red or green chile sauce or salsa.
- SPG is my simple and very basic “Season All” seasoning mix: 50% salt, 25% pepper, and 25% garlic.
- Substitute chayote with large patty pan squash.
Serve as an accompanying side dish with:
El Monterey® Beef or Cheese Enchiladas
El Monterey® Beef, Chicken Tamales