How to Make Christmas Tamales
Christmas tamales are a cherished part of Las Posadas and Christmas in Mexico. Why? Some believe that Christmas tamales wrapped in their corn husks represent the baby Jesus wrapped lovingly in Mary’s arms. Here's how to make Christmas tamales.
DirectionsHere’s how to make Christmas tamales.
- Soak corn husks (Hojas) in warm water to soften.
- Spread masa (purchased or homemade) into moist husk with a large spoon across the wide bottom.
- Place favorite filling into the masa.
- Fold by turning one edge in, then top and remaining edge.
- Spread Christmas tamales in a large pot or double boiler, covered, for 25-35 minutes.
- Serve by removing and discarding husk; garnish with fresh vegetables or your favorite sauce.