- 30 El Monterey taquitos – any variety
- 2 cups nacho-cheese-flavored corn tortilla chips, ground
- 2 cups cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp serrano or jalapeño peppers, minced
Here's how to make a Mexican Cheese Ball.
- Prepare taquitos as suggested on package and keep warm.
- Place ground tortilla chips in a large mixing bowl or on a flat cookie sheet; set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except taquitos and tortilla chips until thoroughly mixed and the lumps have been worked out of the cream cheese.
- Lightly spray food release on your hands and gather cheese mix, using your hands to form a ball.
- Allow cheese ball to sit at room temperature to soften for an hour or so once taken out of refrigerator; keep away from heat.
- Roll cheese ball in ground tortilla chips until completely coated and serve immediately by arranging hot taquitos around cheese ball.
This can be made two to three days ahead of serving. Seal cheese ball in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Before serving, allow chilled cheese ball to sit at room temperature for an hour to soften.